Sunday, July 24, 2011

Optus My Tab Bargain

The stores are now awash with various android tablets and even the lesser equipped models represent excellent value for the buyer on the lookout for a bargain.
After evaluating the pros and cons of buying an extra tablet, having already acquired an ipad, I settled on a 7 inch Optus My Tab.
The tablet was made for Optus by ZTE who make various tablets under different names.
I chose this tablet for the following reasons.
Form factor: The seven inch screen makes the device feasible as an eBook reader. This is especially handy in low light situations.
Portability: It is reasonably light and can fit into a jacket pocket without the need to carry a bag in every situation.
It functions well as a phone and this feature is only found in the Optus Mytab and the Samsung Galaxy Tablet.
Price: Cost wise this tablet is a bargain. I purchased the unit for $149 and that included a dedicated wall charger, a 2 gig memory card, a prepaid sim card with $50 of credit included.
Last time I checked they had reduced the price to an unbelievable $99.
The unit also ships with a USB cable and headset.
The preinstalled version is Android 2.1 but this can be upgraded to 2.2.
Definitely a best buy considering that higher end versions of Android such as Gingerbread and Honeycomb still have problems configuring developer software to run properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A bargain indeed. Glad you like the 7" form factor. I am sick of trying to read the news on my iPhone so have just ordered a 7" tablet on eBay with Android 2.3. Fingers crossed that I get the same result as you.

 
google-site-verification: google1b4d5f623e342c5b.html