Thursday, February 28, 2008

Obese People To Pay For Two Seats On A Plane.

I have just come back from an overseas trip and endured eight hours on a plane sitting sideways in my seat.
The reason was that I was wedged between two tremendously fat guys whose torsos did not fit properly in their seats.

I was irritated when I sat in my designated seat and found myself seated next to the first very fat man.
I mean he was huge. His shoulders were so big that they overlapped six inches into my seat.
His flabby side bits were pressed into my side.
I never could have dreamed that a second similarly huge guy would take the aisle seat next to me.
Here was me stuck in the middle with these two fat guys with their blubber pushing into my body.

Do you think there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening?
Not a dam thing.

I anxiously called for a flight attendant and asked if there was an empty seat elsewhere on the plane, but the answer was no.

There was nothing I could do but spend the next eight hours twisted sideways at an uncomfortable angle while the fat guys on both sides invaded my confines.

Has the world gone mad?
Are the airlines too politically correct to say what needs to be said?

If obscenely obese people need to take up other people’s space on a plane, then force them to buy two tickets.
Weigh them as you would luggage. If you have reasonable limits for luggage then why not have weight standards for passengers?
I don’t ever again want to have to spend eight hours on a plane squashed by blubber and lard.
If the passenger is so overweight that he can’t sit in a single seat without spilling over into a second seat, then make him pay for two seats.
This is much fairer than forcing the regular sized passenger to subsidize these
hippos, by allowing them to invade your space.

2 comments:

Tinggay said...

This is a pretty interesting post. It's obvious you were pissed off with what happened and I bet you don't have any intention of offending anyone, but I bet any "obese" man who come across your post would be equally pissed off with this post, especially your suggestion that they buy two tickets. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Buko.

I did not want to offend anybody but I think it is
reasonable to expect that the body mass of each
passenger should not be allowed the incringe upon the
territory of another passenger.
I don't care if the person next to me is obese. All I
am saying is that he has to stick to his space. If he
has to sit sideways then so be it.
As a paying pasenger I think I am entitled to expect
that the person next to me does not take up space that
I have paid for. We are not talking about a squashy
twenty minute ride on a train here. We are talking
about an eight hour plane journey.
In economy class they don't allow the use of laptops
because of the space factor, so why not have some rule
for passengers in extreme circumstances?

My guess is that they are scared of getting their ass
sued.

 
google-site-verification: google1b4d5f623e342c5b.html