Friday, February 1, 2008

Using your Asus and cellphone for internet connectivity.





The thought of not having a twenty four hour internet connection available when you are traveling can be a frightening thought for some.
Different time zones may mean the weary business traveler setting the alarm clock for three in the morning, in order to communicate with his associates in another part of the world.
These differing time zones, rule out the total reliance on internet cafés, whose trading hours do not necessarily coincide with those of time strapped business traveler.

In some countries modems are standard in many hotels, but this is not the norm and the traveler is left to traverse the nocturnal streets of a strange city looking to connect.

There is a better way.

When I travel to Thailand with my Asus eee, I pack my Nokia E61 which has a modem built into its hardware.
I have the Asus bluetoothed to the Nokia and this gives me a GPRS connection to the Web.
It may not be the fastest connection but it does the job when there is no hotel modem or WIFI available. The good part is that there is no other hardware to buy. All you need is your modem equipped cell phone.

One of the smartest things I did was visiting the head office of the phone company whose sim card I use when in Thailand. In my case it was Dtac and their representative installed the dial up configuration for me and also put me on a user friendly internet plan that didn’t break the bank.
I would recommend that anyone trying to set up a connection such as this should visit their sim card provider’s head office for personalized configuration.

No comments:

 
google-site-verification: google1b4d5f623e342c5b.html